(910) 793-9000
(910) 793-9000
5725-F2 Oleander Drive
Wilmington, NC 28403

Collins Law Firm :: Blog

Archive for July, 2015

Youth Booze – Don’t Lose

Wednesday, July 29th, 2015

underage-drinking-and-the-law-statistics_527ba2c7bacfcSummer is drawing to an end and college classes are set to resume in a few weeks. For many, the beginning of college is full of excitement, as students are no longer under the watchful eyes of their parents. Unfortunately, this lack of parental supervision tempts many into making decisions that they would not normally make. Often times, temptations such as underage drinking and/or using a fake ID cause bad situations for those caught breaking the law. When caught by law enforcement, reality sets in and can cause panic: How should you handle these charges? How will charges such as these affect my future? What will my parents or coach say? What is my next step?

Fortunately, Mr. Collins is here to help those facing charges related to underage drinking. As of last fall, New Hanover and Pender County implemented new policies for those charged with underage drinking. These policies are designed for first time offenders (those not previously convicted of drug or alcohol offenses) and aim to educate youth on the harmful consequences of underage drinking while avoiding permanent charges to their criminal record. Offenders should be prepared to face at least 12 months of unsupervised probation, observe DWI Treatment court, participate in the Youth Offender Course at New Hanover Regional Medical Center and the Street Safe Alcohol Education Program (reflection essay to follow), and to serve community service hours.

Attorney David Collins has over 20 years of experience in the legal field, and has represented many people charged with underage consumption or possession of alcohol, and those charged with crimes involving fake IDs. In most underage drinking cases, with clients with no prior criminal history and without egregious facts, Mr. Collins has been able to have the charges dismissed. If you or someone you know has been charged with a crime involving underage consumption or possession of alcohol or a fake ID, call us at (910) 793-9000 for a confidential consultation.

By: Brittany Bryant, Legal Assistant